Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Convert to the Skirt - Why I Wear a Running Skirt

CONVERT TO THE SKIRT

I’ll confess, I’m a t-shirt and jeans kind of person.  Getting dressed up is not my thing.  Dress clothes make me feel uncomfortable and don’t event talk about high heels.  I am not a “girly” girl.  
So why do I wear a skirt when I run?  I don’t remember how or when I stumbled upon the Skirt Sports brand of clothing. I’d never even seen someone run in a skirt before.  But when I saw the “tattoo” print skirt, I knew I had to have it.  It was pink, had slits cut up the side, and the hem that was well above the knee.  It was nothing I would ordinarily pick to wear ever, let alone for running.  I was not even sure I had ever owned anything pink in my life.  
The package arrived and I tried it on.  I instantly felt like a different person.  Then I went for a run.  The sides swished up and gave a little flip at the end of my stride. It felt breezy and light.  It was fun, cute and a little sexy. Did I mention my husband loved it?
How can a piece of clothing change you? Well, I’m not rail thin and I don’t like the way typical running shorts put everything out there to be seen.  Every lump and bump visible to the world.  Running skirts made me feel different about myself, stronger and more confident.  I felt like the cool kid in high school, which I assure you I probably wasn’t.  I started wearing the skirt to races, and eventually to my first 50 mile trail race.  Sometimes when a girl passes a guy on the trail he will say he was “chicked.”  I heard one guy say when I passed him that he’d just been “skirted.”  
     My friends now can tell it is me from a great distance on the trail because of the skirt.  I’ve even been recognized from behind, I hope that is a compliment.
I know that I am a better person when I run.  It clears my mind and refreshes my soul.  My Skirt Sports running skirts have helped define me.  They created an even better version of myself because I feel great when I wear them.  
     To sum it up in the words of Nicole DeBoom, the Skirt Sports founder, “When you look good, you feel good.  And when you feel good, you perform better.” 




***Disclaimer: I am a brand ambassador for Skirt Sports.  They provide me with discounts on their products.  Regardless of this, I would wear their products and sing their praises.  It's a company I believe in and am I'm proud to be a part of their family.  

2 comments: