Friday, December 21, 2018

The Hawaiian Rules



     On vacation in Hawaii many years ago, I purchased a postcard that had the “Hawaiian Rules” on them.  It was a series of sayings that resonated with me.  I framed the postcard and it has been hanging on a wall in my house for nearly 20 years.  I’ll be headed to Hawaii soon to complete state 49 on my 50 states marathon quest.  Before I say aloha to another marathon I thought I’d share my thoughts on these rules as best I can relate them to running.  



Never judge a day by the weather.

      Just because the day isn’t all rainbows and unicorns when you get up doesn’t mean you can’t make the best of it.  So what if it’s raining cats and dogs, snowing, cold, or gale force winds.  I won’t let that stop me from doing my best at a race.  You can control most everything about your training.  You are in charge of the time, speed, and effort you put out.  The one thing that is totally out of your control is the weather.  If there’s a 99% chance of rain, there’s a 100% chance that I don’t give a crap what the weatherman is saying. Sometimes I swear there is a black cloud that follows me to races.  Friends used to ask me what events I planned on attending, then they would choose another race because they knew if I was going there would be bad weather.  I’ve just learned to embrace the suck.  The bonus is you do feel kind of badass when you finish an race in really nasty weather.  
100K on a rainy day, 38 degrees and 40 mph winds. 

The best things in life aren’t things.

     I’d rather have a life that is full of adventures instead of things.  In a few months I’ll have traveled to and run a marathon in every state in the U.S.  The experiences that I’ve had from running and travel are worth far more to me than any object.  I’d rather have stories to tell, not stuff to show.
I have lots of stories to tell after running every street in my town.

Tell the truth - there’s less to remember.

     Don’t lie to yourself and say you are not a “real” runner.  I hear that comment so often from people.  They belittle themselves because they don’t think they are as fast or can’t go as far as someone else.  There’s no need for comparison.  Simply put, if you run-you are a runner. 
     I also hear of people that cheat themselves out of their own victories.  If you took third place in your age group, that is a huge thing.  The rest of the world doesn’t care if there was only three people in your age group.  You don’t need to put an asterisk mark after your achievement.  
     It’s also ok if running doesn’t always make you feel good and that you struggle for motivation.  If we are honest about these things, we find that others likely feel the same way.
My award for overall 3rd place woman at a 12 hour race this month.

Speak softly and wear a loud shirt.

     Although running isn’t a fashion show it’s ok to be loud and proud.  Wear something out there, dye your hair, show off your tattoos.  I think everyone knows that I wear fun patterned skirts when I run.  I can’t even tell you how many times something I was wearing generated a conversation with a total stranger on a race course.  Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of guys dressed in kilts or firemen in full uniform at races.  Whether it is for fun or for a cause, it is certainly attracts attention.  One time I finished a race just a few minutes ahead of a guy dressed in a banana suit and another fellow wearing an Elvis costume.  In hindsight, I should have slowed down and ran the last mile of the marathon in with them, because that would have been one awesome finish photo.
Some of my loud clothes.


Goals are deceptive - the unaimed arrow never misses.

     Would you rather have guaranteed success at something easy or risk failure at something hard?  I’d rather fail epically at something challenging. It’s totally fine to have a big hairy audacious goal.  Maybe you’ll finish it or maybe you won’t.  But you never know unless you try it.  I had no idea if I’d finish a 100 mile trail race on foot the first time I set out to do it.  You know what?  I didn’t finish it the first time.  But it didn’t stop me from going after it another time and achieving that goal.  Think big, aim that arrow at something.  You might surprise yourself.
I hit the bullseye! Five marathons in five states in five days.  



He who dies with the most toys - still dies.

     Money can’t buy happiness but it can buy running shoes and that’s kind of the same thing.  Running is a fairly cheap sport, they say it is cheaper than therapy.  I’m starting to creep up on my 100th marathon and since race entries don’t grow on trees, I’m starting to think therapy would have been cheaper.  As far as running gear goes, no one is going to care if I have the nicest running shoes or best GPS watch in the cemetery, right?  

Age is relative - when you’re over the hill, you pick up speed.
     A lot of people don’t even start running until they are in their 40’s.  This is especially true for ultra marathons, at least most of the ones I’ve been to have a lot of entrants are in their 40’s and over.  I remember watching a video of Gunhild Swanson at age 70 finishing the 2015 Western States 100 miler with SIX seconds to spare before the cutoff time.  I met her the next year at Western States, she’s an amazing lady.  She’s currently 74 years of age and still running.  This past weekend, 70 year old Gene Dykes just broke the marathon world record for his age group in a time of 2:54 at the Jacksonville Marathon.   That is an hour faster than my fastest time, and I was 25 when I ran that.  That sure inspires me to try harder.
My first marathon, 1994.  Still my PR.

There are two ways to be rich - make more money or desire less.

     Some people may see the ultimate goal of running to have fast times.  I felt that way for awhile and I still do occasionally.  However, my times are not what they used to be.  Some of that is weight gain, age and injury related.  That doesn’t mean that I’m not getting anything out of running.  I’m just not currently viewing fast times as the “wealth” of running.  It’s ok to change your goals to suit your needs.   My times may not be what they were back when I started this journey, but my priorities also changed.  I’m satisfied with what I’m doing. Enjoy your running “wealth” however you find it.  Make the best of what you have now, sometimes that’s all you get anyway.  
Going for a run with Kirby and Zuzu, that's priceless. 



Beauty is internal - looks mean nothing.

      Never judge a book by it’s cover.  I used to compare myself to others at the starting line of a race, wondering if I might be faster or stronger than someone else.  I don’t do that any more, I’ve learned that although people many not look a certain way, it doesn’t mean they can’t finish before you in a race.  They may be stronger than you think and mentally tougher than you. 


No rain - no rainbows.  

     Your effort is the rain and achieving your goal is the rainbow.  Only you can control your training and your desire to finish.  Friends and family can be there to motivate and support you, but you have to get out there and train.  Sometimes there is struggle involved in success, this just makes it more worthwhile.



Aloha and mahalo my running ‘ohana!

1 comment: